Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Forum rules
jbc
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Antispam: no

Say goodbye to Nicole Mitchell

Postby jbc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm

It appears as if she will depart soon. I don't know whether it is on her own accord, or if she is getting the boot. I wonder what are the reasons?

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Say goodbye to Nicole Mitchell

Postby spike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 pm

jbc wrote:It appears as if she will depart soon. I don't know whether it is on her own accord, or if she is getting the boot. I wonder what are the reasons?

IIRC, she is in Law school.. maybe she is changing her career path... or making a full time commitment to the air force.

She's a very personable, intelligent person amongst the other obvious assets. I also hope it is her decision.

FWIW- as of Sunday, 1/16 she is still listed on TWC site in the TV personalities section.

Snaggle Tooth
Trade Winds
Trade Winds

Postby Snaggle Tooth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Judging from her somewhat bitter tone, I do not think it was her decision. The fools in charge had already demoted her from her regular spot so this is not totally surprising. I love the fact that she ahs her Weather Channel gear up for sale on e-bay. Nice touch.

Rich,
Are these "people" in charge at TWC really as dumb and low rent as they seem to be? I mean, I do not think that could have handled any of these dismissals any worse than they have. You could staff one heck of a channel with the talent they have tossed to the curb. Are a lot of these "changes" based on economics as the more veteran staffers may have made more money? If it is, they will deserve it when they get what they paid for.

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Snaggle Tooth wrote:Judging from her somewhat bitter tone, I do not think it was her decision. The fools in charge had already demoted her from her regular spot so this is not totally surprising. I love the fact that she ahs her Weather Channel gear up for sale on e-bay. Nice touch.

Rich,
Are these "people" in charge at TWC really as dumb and low rent as they seem to be? I mean, I do not think that could have handled any of these dismissals any worse than they have. You could staff one heck of a channel with the talent they have tossed to the curb. Are a lot of these "changes" based on economics as the more veteran staffers may have made more money? If it is, they will deserve it when they get what they paid for.

I guess I was in denial. What a terrific talent and a nice gal. She has started her own facebook page if anyone is interested. It won't be long before my other favorites are downsized, too.

Florida Beach Gal

Postby Florida Beach Gal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Snaggle Tooth wrote:Judging from her somewhat bitter tone, I do not think it was her decision. The fools in charge had already demoted her from her regular spot so this is not totally surprising. I love the fact that she ahs her Weather Channel gear up for sale on e-bay. Nice touch.

Rich,

Rich had commented in the past that the layoffs weren't totally based on money. I'll say it since he won't - Age discrimination. IMO.

jbc
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby jbc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 pm

[quote="Carolina Hurricane" Rich had commented in the past that the layoffs weren't totally based on money. I'll say it since he won't - Age discrimination. IMO.[/quote]

I would think Nicole is younger than Kelly Cass, Kim Cunningham, Samantha Mohr, Vivian Brown, and maybe Heather Tesch. (just guessing) Maybe she was making too much money after her stint on YWT with Marshall Seese and Heather Tesch.

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 pm

jbc wrote:[quote="Carolina Hurricane" Rich had commented in the past that the layoffs weren't totally based on money. I'll say it since he won't - Age discrimination. IMO.

I would think Nicole is younger than Kelly Cass, Kim Cunningham, Samantha Mohr, Vivian Brown, and maybe Heather Tesch. (just guessing) Maybe she was making too much money after her stint on YWT with Marshall Seese and Heather Tesch.[/quote]

Or potentially could be expecting/asking for more $$ after earning a Law degree to go with her other degree and experience. I would agree that she's too young for age discrimination- something I would speculate that other OCM's would pursue, like Alex Steele. I'll be honest, when it comes to that, unless really documented well and blatantly abused, it's a matter of how much justice you can afford. It's not the same as filing suit for harassment, as at least one other did, and allegedly settled.

This whole situation is just sad, but it certainly isn't confined to this business.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Spike,

I think that Carolina really didn't mean age discrimination in Nicole Mitchell's case. You're right, she is younger than the others. I know that she simply had other interests and believe she wanted to pursue them.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:Hi Spike,

I think that Carolina really didn't mean age discrimination in Nicole Mitchell's case. You're right, she is younger than the others. I know that she simply had other interests and believe she wanted to pursue them.

Yes, that makes sense. Carolina was referring to the others. Good for Nicole, anyway.

Wild Banshe
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Postby Wild Banshe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:48 pm

It's tough to recognize hardly any of the weather channel ocm's anymore. NBC has wrecked the place. Yes, good luck to Nicole Mitchell!

Skibug
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Postby Skibug » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 am

Yes, good luck to Nicole Mitchell! The revolving door at the weather channel keeps on spinning!
SKIBUG87

Ninjaguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby Ninjaguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Yes, I'll miss Niclole too. :whistling:
The Ninja Sword

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:41 pm

It looks like Nicole is officially gone. Her profile is down off of TWC website. :cry:

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Major Nicole Mitchell is privately sueing NBC for illegally firing her-although based on her contract it has to be heard before an arbitrator. She passed the Cal bar exam and does bit fill in roles on the west coast.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 pm

[quote="spike"]Major Nicole Mitchell is privately sueing NBC for illegally firing her-although based on her contract it has to be heard before an arbitrator. She passed the Cal bar exam and does bit fill in roles on the west coast.[/quote]

Interesting. The last I heard was that she was supposed to work for Al Jezeera America.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Return to “Weather Channel”