Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Forum rules
jbc
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Antispam: no

Back in heyday

Postby jbc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 am

Just ran into this forum. I have a question regarding back in the day and current management, which may be an inapproriate question or there may be a better way in wording it. If so, feel free to delete it or change it.

I remember their being many Christian OCM who expressed their faith in a tactful manner. Most of them are no longer working at the TWC. Have the layoffs been strictly money related, or is there an element of ascribing into what NBC is selling that comes into play as well?

Florida Beach Gal

Re: Back in heyday

Postby Florida Beach Gal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm

jbc wrote:Just ran into this forum. I have a question regarding back in the day and current management, which may be an inapproriate question or there may be a better way in wording it. If so, feel free to delete it or change it.

I remember their being many Christian OCM who expressed their faith in a tactful manner. Most of them are no longer working at the TWC. Have the layoffs been strictly money related, or is there an element of ascribing into what NBC is selling that comes into play as well?

I think you may be onto something. I know that Rich, Sharon, Jeanetta and some others are Christian.

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Carolina Hurricane wrote:
jbc wrote:Just ran into this forum. I have a question regarding back in the day and current management, which may be an inapproriate question or there may be a better way in wording it. If so, feel free to delete it or change it.

I think you may be onto something. I know that Rich, Sharon, Jeanetta and some others are Christian.

I don't know if that is a top five reason to let people go. I know that there are several people (Seidel, Abrams) that are Jewish. I speculate that many that are still there are Christian. IMO, this would be a more provable reason to file suit then another form of discrimination. I do know that NBC/Comcast (and many other media outlets) is about as liberal as you can get... so if you want to talk about a clash of values, it may be that some OCM's do not march to the same political drum which also reflects religious tones also. Oh well, you know what they say about discussing religion and politics...

One other thing- regardless of the reasons, it is apparent that anyone is subject to at will removal. It has been a broad sweep over gender, religion, race and age.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am

Discrimination based on religion ( and age ) is fairly tough to prove IMO. In the round of layoffs that I was part of they layed off Ebony also. She is a fine meteorologist and did a very respectable job. I think simple that she was the scapegoat to skew age data of most of the others that were layed off.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Rich:

I absolutely agree. It would be the most difficult to prove with the complex and relaxed labor laws, even if you have deep pockets.
I was victimized twice by it 40+, so I understand- and they did the same thing- let go a broad spectrum of people to cover it. Had sparkling reviews, did my job. Life isn't fair, so you just move on.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 am

spike wrote:Rich:

I absolutely agree. It would be the most difficult to prove with the complex and relaxed labor laws, even if you have deep pockets.
I was victimized twice by it 40+, so I understand- and they did the same thing- let go a broad spectrum of people to cover it. Had sparkling reviews, did my job. Life isn't fair, so you just move on.

Right spike. A top lesson in life: life isn't fair. What's the saying?? Make lemonade out of lemons?
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Return to “Weather Channel”