Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Forum rules
Misty
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Antispam: no

Cheryl Lemke

Postby Misty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I have watched the Weather Channel for quite a number of years and realize some meteorologists stay longer than others. Anyone know why Cheryl Lemke is no longer with TWC, she was there for many years.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheryl Lemke

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Misty wrote:I have watched the Weather Channel for quite a number of years and realize some meteorologists stay longer than others. Anyone know why Cheryl Lemke is no longer with TWC, she was there for many years.

Thanks for your question Misty. I worked with Cheryl for many, many years. We were both layed off by NBC shortly after they purchased the weather channel. She was in the first wave of lay offs, I was in the second. NBC is methodically purging landmark ocm's and replacing them with their own ocms. Cherl was hired about two months ago here in Atlanta by WXIA.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Misty
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby Misty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:
Misty wrote:I have watched the Weather Channel for quite a number of years and realize some meteorologists stay longer than others. Anyone know why Cheryl Lemke is no longer with TWC, she was there for many years.

Thanks for your question Misty. I worked with Cheryl for many, many years. We were both layed off by NBC shortly after they purchased the weather channel. She was in the first wave of lay offs, I was in the second. NBC is methodically purging landmark ocm's and replacing them with their own ocms. Cherl was hired about two months ago here in Atlanta by WXIA.

Thanks for your reply Rich! Yes that was unfortunate how NBC canned both of you. I recall watching you as well for many years and was disappointed when you were no longer on the air at TWC. I recently found you posting on Cruise Critic and that's where I discovered about this site. I enjoy cruising to the Caribbean and find it very informative reading about your expert advice in the hurricane thread. I am a weather buff along with everyone else here, LOL!
Do you miss those days at TWC?

CaptHank
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby CaptHank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 pm

And they hired the totally worthless Al Roker. If it was my daddy's store, Roker would be marched out the door along with Abraims, Cantori and the strange looking one on now, Alexandra Steele. :chairhit:

Capt. Hank Jackson
Ft. Pierce, FL

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:56 am

Misty wrote:

Thanks for your reply Rich! Yes that was unfortunate how NBC canned both of you. I recall watching you as well for many years and was disappointed when you were no longer on the air at TWC. I recently found you posting on Cruise Critic and that's where I discovered about this site. I enjoy cruising to the Caribbean and find it very informative reading about your expert advice in the hurricane thread. I am a weather buff along with everyone else here, LOL!
Do you miss those days at TWC?

Very hard question to answer. I was there for over 25 years and had a part of building the weather channel. I was doing what I loved. I don't miss the management that took over and did what they did. I would love to get back into TV or into hurricane consulting. For now, I'm working on my website.
Rich Johnson

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 am

CaptHank wrote:And they hired the totally worthless Al Roker. If it was my daddy's store, Roker would be marched out the door along with Abraims, Cantori and the strange looking one on now, Alexandra Steele. :chairhit:

Capt. Hank Jackson
Ft. Pierce, FL

The weather channel lost its vision a little over 10 years ago IMHO. They made a decision to go away from what made TWC great - just doing weather!
Rich Johnson

Misty
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby Misty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 am

CaptHank wrote:And they hired the totally worthless Al Roker. If it was my daddy's store, Roker would be marched out the door along with Abraims, Cantori and the strange looking one on now, Alexandra Steele. :chairhit:

Capt. Hank Jackson
Ft. Pierce, FL

The weather channel lost its vision a little over 10 years ago IMHO. They made a decision to go away from what made TWC great - just doing weather!

I totally agree! If this keeps up on TWC, we'll be seeing everyone's baby pictures and sharing favorite recipes, or are they doing that already? LOL!

Misty
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby Misty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am

Rich, I am sure that everyone including myself would welcome you back to TV as a hurricane consultant....you would do a phenomenal job! :D

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
Rich Johnson

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Misty wrote:Rich, I am sure that everyone including myself would welcome you back to TV as a hurricane consultant....you would do a phenomenal job! :D

Ditto that. Most of us weather junkies miss the old WC personalities that talked on air like they knew each of us watching and didn't schill for NBC. I feel bad for the old guard that still remains there unless (no names) they are sucking up to the agenda laden management.

Rich: do you talk to any of the other personalities other than Mike Seidel?

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Spike,

It was really strange. After I left the weather channel almost no one called me. I don't know if they didn't know what to say? After 25 years there too. I keep in touch with almost all of the other layed off people.
Rich Johnson

jbc
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Postby jbc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 am

How is Jeanetta Jones doing? I heard that she was in a bad car wreck several years ago.

Florida Beach Gal

Postby Florida Beach Gal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm not sure how Jeanetta is doing, maybe rich can add a comment.

Return to “Weather Channel”