Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Forum rules
chum1976
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Antispam: no

Farewell Betty Davis

Postby chum1976 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Betty Davis posted on her FB page that she is out. The trend continues........ :roll:

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Farewell Betty Davis

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 am

chum1976 wrote:Betty Davis posted on her FB page that she is out. The trend continues........ :roll:

A truely say situation. Betty was great to work with. NBC is determined to make it's own weather channel and methodically purge the ones that made it great.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

bluewood
Trade Winds
Trade Winds

Postby bluewood » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Not to disparage anyone, but it is so sad that a venture initially established to provide excellence in broadcast meteorology, that at one time hung its hat on the expertise of the likes of John Hope. Now spends countless hours and dollars promoting the skill and reliabilty of Al Roker and his early morning lounge act. I guess I will never understand the corporate T.V. mindset. But it has to be heart-breaking for the old-timers involved.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

bluewood wrote:Not to disparage anyone, but it is so sad that a venture initially established to provide excellence in broadcast meteorology, that at one time hung its hat on the expertise of the likes of John Hope. Now spends countless hours and dollars promoting the skill and reliabilty of Al Roker and his early morning lounge act. I guess I will never understand the corporate T.V. mindset. But it has to be heart-breaking for the old-timers involved.

Well said Bluewood. It was sad for me to leave a place that I invested more than 25 years of my life. Nothing personal - just business.
Rich Johnson

Kit Kat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby Kit Kat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:46 pm

I loved John Hope. He was the best.

Wild Banshe
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Postby Wild Banshe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm

So, this is what I have to look forward to at work? Work for a company and they don't give a rats **** about you? I think I will be my own boss!

Mr. B
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby Mr. B » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:30 am

I can't really say much anymore about the weather channel. It's a darn shame. I haven't watched it in a long while now. I stopped watching when it seemed I could never find the weather anymore. I also had grow accustomed to see familiar faces and didn't like them switching for lots of younger folks.

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:
bluewood wrote:Not to disparage anyone, but it is so sad that a venture initially established to provide excellence in broadcast meteorology, that at one time hung its hat on the expertise of the likes of John Hope. Now spends countless hours and dollars promoting the skill and reliabilty of Al Roker and his early morning lounge act. I guess I will never understand the corporate T.V. mindset. But it has to be heart-breaking for the old-timers involved.

Well said Bluewood. It was sad for me to leave a place that I invested more than 25 years of my life. Nothing personal - just business.

That's a great attitude- but I was also purged from a corporation after spending most of my career there. It's hard not to be vindictive towards greedy, ignorant corporate leaders that don't lose a minutes sleep about train wrecking someone's livelihood, all for the short term bottom line. Some of us (due to age or the narrow range of the industry we are in) can't just pop into another career path without taking a severe hit.

Pardon me for saying this, Rich- but it seems that the tv business is about looks/curves more than the other skills one may possess. They are keeping that stereotype alive at TWC, which is grossly unfair to many that are highly professional, highly qualified and just happen to be attractive-but facts are facts. I have yet to see a personality in network tv news or weather that doesn't fit that profile.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 pm

One of life's toughest lessons is "life isn't fair". I could tell you a lot of stories about salaries and other subjects that were simply shameful. TWC is just like any other business..... You have some great people who would do anything for you and you have some who are ...... well, you know.
Rich Johnson

cumulonimbus32
Trade Winds
Trade Winds

Postby cumulonimbus32 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 am

Tropical Hurricane wrote:
chum1976 wrote:Betty Davis posted on her FB page that she is out. The trend continues........ :roll:

A truely say situation. Betty was great to work with. NBC is determined to make it's own weather channel and methodically purge the ones that made it great.

I miss Betty alot. I wonder if she has found anything else...or if she is just gonna take time off...

bluewood
Trade Winds
Trade Winds

Postby bluewood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't want to belabor a point Rich. But what TWC doesn't realize nor care about, is though it is true you invested 25 years in their company and its success, we as viewers invested 25 years of our most valuable asset, our time, in YOU. I didn't watch TWC, I watched Dave or Rich or Kristina or Cheryl, etc. My satellite provider offers 200 plus viewing optons and more often than not I choose TWC, simply because of the people. I am sorry but it is a fact of human nature that if someone enters your home on a regular basis, even if it is over transmitted signals, they become familiar to you and comfortable. In fact alot of broadcast media count on and greatly value this particular phenomenon. Now I am sure these new people are wonderful and capable individuals who will do a good job. But am I willing to make that invest again in them as I did in you guys? No way. I can understand asking you folks to take a pay cut when the economy is down and revenues decline. But this felt more like ya'll were basiclly cast aside for newer-younger-cheaper OCMs. And the powers that be calculated that the viewing public is too stupid to know the difference or care. In my opinion they underestimated the value of any companies #1 asset. Its people. And they underestimated the value of loyal and committed viewers. Sorry I guess its a little personal to me.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

thanks bluewood, well said. There is one difference though ( per another thread ). There were a handful of ocms who made big bucks, I and several others were not in that group. As you said, the new ownership wanted their own channel. Some were probably cut for salaries, others for reasons only they know.
Rich Johnson

Return to “Weather Channel”