Midwest Still Bracing for Brutal Winter?

Weather discussions including cold fronts, dust devils, tornadoes, nor'easters, or anything non-tropical can be discussed here.

Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Forum rules
spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Antispam: no

Midwest Still Bracing for Brutal Winter?

Postby spike » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 am

Has the weather patterns changed (hopefully) which will negate the early forecast for more snow and colder temps for the Midwest?

I'd rather be optimistic and think the next six months will not be as bad in places like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland etc.

Any insight would be great.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Midwest Still Bracing for Brutal Winter?

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Spike,
I have enjoyed reading your posts here..... I went to an AMS.NWA meeting at GA Tech last night. They are differing from the NWS a bit. They believe that this winter will be similar to last. They expect a warm December in the eastern US and a colder JAN / FEB. Although last winter we had a colder winter here in the southeast.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:Hi Spike,
I have enjoyed reading your posts here..... I went to an AMS.NWA meeting at GA Tech last night. They are differing from the NWS a bit. They believe that this winter will be similar to last. They expect a warm December in the eastern US and a colder JAN / FEB. Although last winter we had a colder winter here in the southeast.

Thank you for your kind words, Rich. When I was a kid I wanted desperately to become a meteorologist. Unfortunately, I didn't pursue that dream and any reason now would sound like an excuse, so I'll spare those. Just the same, I wanted to say "thank you" to all of the fine people that worked hard to live their passion following the weather in order to keep us informed. And, as long as you provide the website, I'll be here to add what I can. As for our forecast... well, we are in Michigan. I guess we can expect the worst and hope for the best. We just about doubled our snow last season from average (which was nothing compared to the east) and Jan/Feb was extremely cold. Makes June all that much more enjoyable.

Best of the holiday season to you.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caribbean Traveler » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:53 am

Spike, we doubled our snow total here in Atlanta the past few years.... 7 -8 inches ! Some years we only get flurries or a dusting of snow. The average is about 2-3 inches.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Florida Beach Gal

Postby Florida Beach Gal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Were predicted to have a warmer than normal winter here in NC. So far even though it's not officially winter, it has been warm.

spike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Postby spike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm

First dusting of snow in SE Michigan last night. Just west of here was a heavier band that produced 5-8". it should be gone by the weekend, though. Now it feels like the Christmas season.

Return to “General Weather Discussions”