New trend in tv weathercasting

Ask your questions about T.V. weather here. (Non Weather Channel)

Moderator: Carolina Hurricane

New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Carolina Hurricane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm

With the economy in the dumps a new trend for tv meteorologists is evolving. In small tv markets the weather person is the "jack of all trades". This concept is now migrating to middle and large markets where staffs are being cut. It is not uncommon now to have the weekend meteorologist have to report, shoot, and edit stories three other days of the week.
User avatar
Carolina Hurricane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 am
Location: My heart is in Carolina

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Martin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 pm

The less watched station in my area commonly has the weathercaster as an anchor.
User avatar
Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Norfolk, Va

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Mr. B » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Same here in Greenville where I have seen some of the reporters do multiple jobs.
User avatar
Mr. B
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Carolina Hurricane » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Hopefully when the economy turns around we will see the meteorologists be able to concentrate on their profession instead of being asked to do everything. I would guess that general managers of the stations will not go back now and this it the new way of doing things.
User avatar
Carolina Hurricane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 am
Location: My heart is in Carolina

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Ninjaguy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Who cares? Let them pull the extra weight like the rest of the world.
The Ninja Sword
User avatar
Ninjaguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Japan

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Wild Banshe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:00 am

Ninjaguy wrote:Who cares? Let them pull the extra weight like the rest of the world.



You would make a great news director! ;allright:
User avatar
Wild Banshe
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 pm
Location: In front of my ps3

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby WindyKitty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 am

Wild Banshe wrote:
Ninjaguy wrote:Who cares? Let them pull the extra weight like the rest of the world.



You would make a great news director! ;allright:


Ha ha! I agree with ya, Wild.

No seriously, I agree with you completely, Carolina. To complete the phrase (as I've always heard it), it's "Jack of All Trades, Master of None." If this is the case, then we're going to be stuck with a bumbling meteorologist who's trying to keep track of every single thing. We'll never obtain accurate readings this way.

_________________
disaster recovery software comes to the rescue so I don't lose my files during a storm!
User avatar
WindyKitty
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: New trend in tv weathercasting

Postby Tropical Hurricane » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 am

WindyKitty wrote:
Wild Banshe wrote:
Ninjaguy wrote:Who cares? Let them pull the extra weight like the rest of the world.



You would make a great news director! ;allright:


Ha ha! I agree with ya, Wild.

No seriously, I agree with you completely, Carolina. To complete the phrase (as I've always heard it), it's "Jack of All Trades, Master of None." If this is the case, then we're going to be stuck with a bumbling meteorologist who's trying to keep track of every single thing. We'll never obtain accurate readings this way.

_________________
disaster recovery software comes to the rescue so I don't lose my files during a storm!



Well said Windykitty. Sad, but true.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/fish_storm
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert
User avatar
Tropical Hurricane
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Under a palm tree


Return to T.V. Weather

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron