Calm before the storm.

Public forum to discuss hurricanes and tropical storms. Ask your travel and cruise questions here.

Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

CoralReef62
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Antispam: no

Calm before the storm.

Post by CoralReef62 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 am

We will be entering the start of the peak season on Sunday August 1st. I normally go to weather underground to see if Jeff Masters has the latest on tropical development. But he was going on vacation and the two people he has taken over while he's away, hasn't posted any new info. Whats your take on tropical activity in August? do you think its going to be busy or average? Love to hear your responses. :cat:
* Note anything I post here is just my opinion and not a forecast. I love talking about the weather and meeting people who share the same interests.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Calm before the storm.

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Coralreef,

Yes, the busiest part of hurricane season runs from august 15 to about the first week or two of October. September 10 is the peak of hurricane season. I don't try to get into long range forecasting. I simply forecast what is currently happening....sometimes that can be out to a week or 10 days. Almost like clockwork, the tropical waves from Africa start getting stronger in early August and pick up by the second week.

If you study what the "experts' say about long range hurricane forecasts it is hit and miss. Sometimes they are close other years spinning a roulette wheel would have been better. It makes for good reading though.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Wild Banshe
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Post by Wild Banshe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I don't care what Master's or any of those others say. They don't know what is really going to happen. Even if there is a bunch of 'canes it don't mean that there going to hit. Like really, if they say that there is going to be 8 hurricanes or 12 hurricanes, you're only going to be concerned if one comes your way.

CoralReef62
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Post by CoralReef62 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Wild Banshe wrote: Like really, if they say that there is going to be 8 hurricanes or 12 hurricanes, you're only going to be concerned if one comes your way.

Jeff Masters may not have all the answers but I still like to hear if any possible tropical development occurs. Also I agree with you about being concerned about the one that comes your way. Because we could be faced with a category 1 or higher storm our way. I'm sure the waters are heating up for a possibility of a storm to develop. August is just around the corner.
* Note anything I post here is just my opinion and not a forecast. I love talking about the weather and meeting people who share the same interests.

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 am

We are watching the tropical wave well out into the Atlantic. Forecast models have shown some development with this one.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

CoralReef62
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Post by CoralReef62 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:We are watching the tropical wave well out into the Atlantic. Forecast models have shown some development with this one.

Tropical weather the one near the cape verde is showing a medium 30% chance of development and their is one near the caribbean that just shows a low chance. Even with what you said, about the middle part of August and on, we may see activity pick up a lot. I sure hope people take these storm serious. Look at Ike, Katrina ect.. people will not evacuate, even with its mandatory. The solution for those people not able to leave, due to lack of transportation. I don't see why the City of every county or state don't use school buses, hrt buses or greyhounds to get these people to safe grounds. Even with Katrina, someone said they had school buses that could've got those people out of their homes to safer grounds. We vote these people in to make a difference in our community but they fail those who are need of help. I wouldn't mind if my tax dollars helped those less fortunate. Some of these people have children too, who deserve to live. JMO :cat:

Return to “Eye of the Storm”