QuikSCAT

Public forum to discuss hurricanes and tropical storms. Ask your travel and cruise questions here.

Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Post Reply
User avatar
Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Norfolk, Va
Contact:

QuikSCAT

Post by Martin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:20 pm

What is your opinion Rich on the loss of the QuikSCAT satellite (for real-time data purposes anyway) and how it might impact the future of hurricane forecasting/tracking? I always used it quite frequently to take a peak at what was going on out there and I always thought it was quite a valuable resource. ASCAT simply lacks the resolution and is considerably lacking next to the QuikSCAT. Wish NOAA/NASA could rush another one together like in the past and toss one up there.

User avatar
Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Under a palm tree
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:22 am

Martin wrote:What is your opinion Rich on the loss of the QuikSCAT satellite (for real-time data purposes anyway) and how it might impact the future of hurricane forecasting/tracking? I always used it quite frequently to take a peak at what was going on out there and I always thought it was quite a valuable resource. ASCAT simply lacks the resolution and is considerably lacking next to the QuikSCAT. Wish NOAA/NASA could rush another one together like in the past and toss one up there.
I didn't know about it. where did you hear that from? The previous hurricane center director was heavily criticized from making comments about this. Losing the Quickscat would be a huge loss. It is an extremely valuable forecasting resource. It made satellite interpretation much easier. The government will not find the money for a new Quickscat soon. Huge loss. :cry:
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

User avatar
Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Norfolk, Va
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Martin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Tropical Hurricane wrote:
Martin wrote:What is your opinion Rich on the loss of the QuikSCAT satellite (for real-time data purposes anyway) and how it might impact the future of hurricane forecasting/tracking? I always used it quite frequently to take a peak at what was going on out there and I always thought it was quite a valuable resource. ASCAT simply lacks the resolution and is considerably lacking next to the QuikSCAT. Wish NOAA/NASA could rush another one together like in the past and toss one up there.
I didn't know about it. where did you hear that from? The previous hurricane center director was heavily criticized from making comments about this. Losing the Quickscat would be a huge loss. It is an extremely valuable forecasting resource. It made satellite interpretation much easier. The government will not find the money for a new Quickscat soon. Huge loss. :cry:
Last November the antenna that rotated on the satellite broke. That ended the collection of real time ocean winds. All that we have now is the European ASCAT, a poor alternative. :cry: I remember those comments made by the previous NHC a while back. They overdid things but I always felt QuikSCAT was a very important asset.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-175
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=1388

User avatar
Skibug
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:06 am
Antispam: no
Location: Long Island
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Skibug » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:20 pm

You guys are over the top! :blah blah:
SKIBUG87

User avatar
Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Under a palm tree
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:25 am

skibug87 wrote:You guys are over the top! :blah blah:
It's tough knowing that the quickscat will not be available for use this season. It is anextremely useful tool for forecasting.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

User avatar
Ninjaguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:04 am
Antispam: no
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Ninjaguy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:16 am

So, does this mean forecasting accuracy will go way down or just a little down?
The Ninja Sword

User avatar
Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Norfolk, Va
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Martin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

ninjaguy89 wrote:So, does this mean forecasting accuracy will go way down or just a little down?
According to the NHC, QuikSCATs data did not affect the computer models forecast. However it was very useful for picking out circulations or potential systems in the Atlantic. I think last year it was especially useful with the number of irregular circulations and formed. It probably in my opinion wont affect forecasting significantly but it was a great tool to use :neutral:

User avatar
Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Under a palm tree
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I do think that there will be a drop off in forecasting expertise in the initial stages of development. For hurricanes, there should be no change. Quickscat was invaluable in detecting the wind fields of disturbances. I have been surprised a number of times when a Quickscat pass would show a strong low level circulation that wasn't apparent on the satellite imagery. And in a like manner sometimes there are solid looking clusters with no low level circulation that would have been overestimated. So, yes I think that the loss of Quickscat will affect forecasting skill on tropical disturbance and tropical storms but not hurricanes.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

User avatar
Mr. B
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:58 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Eastern NC
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Mr. B » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:40 pm

We don't need less forcasting accuracy. Eastern North Carolina sees to many hurricanes. I would hope the government would have a replacement.

User avatar
Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Norfolk, Va
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Martin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:32 pm

NOAA is trying to create a partnership with Japan to get it into the 2012 budget. Probably nothing for at least 5 years

User avatar
Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm
Antispam: no
Location: Under a palm tree
Contact:

Re: QuikSCAT

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 am

If it deals with the government don't expect it to happen fast. :whistling:
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Post Reply

Return to “Eye of the Storm”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest