Has global warming stopped?

Weather discussions including cold fronts, dust devils, tornadoes, nor'easters, or anything non-tropical can be discussed here.

Moderator: Florida Beach Gal

Kitty
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Antispam: no

Has global warming stopped?

Post by Kitty » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 am

I came across a story on the internet from a company in England that said that we are in a "global cooling" phase now. They said something about satellite measurements showing that global temperatures have actually been going down slightly over the past five years. :?: :?: :?:
Meow

Mr. B
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Has global warming stopped?

Post by Mr. B » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 am

Kitty wrote:I came across a story on the internet from a company in England that said that we are in a "global cooling" phase now. They said something about satellite measurements showing that global temperatures have actually been going down slightly over the past five years. :?: :?: :?:
I saw something like that too on the internet recently. Actually, I have heard that type of statement several times before over the past few years. I think this global warming stuff is simply about giving the government another reason to raise taxes. You, know sea ice has melted and expanded many times before. Climates have changed from wet to dry and from hot to cold or vice versa.

Kitty you may become extinct with the polar bears if you're not careful.

:chairhit: Sorry about the rant, I just think that there are too many other more important issues to be concerned about right now!

joyceajm
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Post by joyceajm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:20 am

So, you believe that the consensus opinion is bunk? How can so many people be wrong?

Martin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:38 am

I believe the climate is changing.... How much of it is being caused by humans is the question.

Skibug
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Post by Skibug » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Isn't the climate always changing? Just 200-300 years ago we were in a mini ice age. George Washington had a tough time crossing the Delaware river. I'm glad the media wasn't around then!
SKIBUG87

Caribbean Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Caribbean Traveler » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm

It is sad that this debate is turning angry. People on either side of the fence look at others with disgust. Both claim to have the facts. Either way you look at it data can be manipulated to say what you want it to say. I saw recently on face book a meteorologist which seemed to side a little more with the skeptics. It had generated at least 70 responses.

What are the facts that we know for sure? We are in a recent warming period over at least a few decades. This warming seems to have leveled off or even slightly reversed over the past several years. The earth in the past has been much colder and much warmer than today. Climates of the past and other factors have caused many species to go extinct. CO2 levels have fluctuated also.

What is the motivation for curbing CO2? To save the planet? To generate tax revenue? Taking care of God's creation is a good idea. To be wise with our resources is a good idea. To think that all of the facts are in for either side is simply not true. Treating others poorly for their viewpoint on climate change doesn't serve any good purpose either.
Rich Johnson
Twitter: https://twitter.com/richjohnsonwx
Certified Broadcast Meteorologist - Hurricane Expert

Return to “General Weather Discussions”