Page 1 of 1

AMS Television Seal

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 pm
by Martin
I noticed some notable "weathermen" on this list have expired seals. How does this affect their title and what do they have to do renew it. Would you say it is important to maintain an active seal if you are participating in weather forecasting and broadcasting?

http://www.ametsoc.org/memdir/seallist/get_listoftv.cfm

Thanks!!

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:06 pm
by Caribbean Traveler
Some of those people may have retired from TV. You must have an active seal to display it on TV. I believe it depends on how much times lapses between when you stop paying for the seal and when you want to reactivate it. You may have to pay preexisting dues or even take the test again.

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm
by Martin
Tropical Admin wrote:Some of those people may have retired from TV. You must have an active seal to display it on TV. I believe it depends on how much times lapses between when you stop paying for the seal and when you want to reactivate it. You may have to pay preexisting dues or even take the test again.
Interesting! I suppose its not a critical thing to have? I noticed Al L. Roker on that lists. A little surprising to me since he isnt a meteorologist and has a high profile show airing soon. Thanks for the reply and info!

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:28 am
by Caribbean Traveler
Martin wrote:
Tropical Admin wrote:Some of those people may have retired from TV. You must have an active seal to display it on TV. I believe it depends on how much times lapses between when you stop paying for the seal and when you want to reactivate it. You may have to pay preexisting dues or even take the test again.
Interesting! I suppose its not a critical thing to have? I noticed Al L. Roker on that lists. A little surprising to me since he isnt a meteorologist and has a high profile show airing soon. Thanks for the reply and info!
The seals are important....to an extent. Some news directors look at weather as "entertainment". That's how most of my management (higher ups) looked at it too. People like Al are TV personalities....not professional meteorologists. News directors don't care why you watch, only that you watch for as long as possible.

So the answer to the question is yes and no depending on the news director / general manager of the station.

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 am
by Caribbean Traveler
This is a bit of a follow-up to the seal process... there are approximately 400 active CBM seal holders now. IMHO the CBM favors younger kids getting out of college that remember the equation / text book stuff well. It may be hard for some of the "old dogs" to do well because of forgetting some of the things learned in college.

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:36 pm
by rmandel
I would guess that the "old dogs" would in general be better forecasters.....right? I mean with all of the practical experience.

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 am
by Caribbean Traveler
rmandel wrote:I would guess that the "old dogs" would in general be better forecasters.....right? I mean with all of the practical experience.
Since I'm in the "old dog' camp how can I disagree with you? 8-)

Re: AMS Television Seal

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:22 pm
by Wild Banshe
AMS = Atlanta Motor Speedway ? :buggy:
CBM= Custom Built Motors ? ;allright:
NWA= North West Autos? :cheers:

:guitar man: :guitar man: