Page 1 of 3

How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:43 pm
by Skibug
I don't know if you can or are able to answer that question, but I'm curious. Don't tv people make a lot of money?

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:57 am
by Caribbean Traveler
There is a very wide range! Kids starting out from college in very small markets may only make $20,000 or less! Big markets may have meteorologists that make several hundred thousand. The average may be somewhere from $50-70K. Averages may not mean much since some small market people may make more and people in larger markets less.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:04 pm
by Mr. B
I would have thought the same. I didn't realize that a lot of tv people make only average incomes ( or less ).

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am
by Florida Beach Gal
He is a link to an article on how much meteorologists make http://www.tropicalweather.net/careers_ ... logist.htm

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:43 pm
by Wild Banshe
Carolina Hurricane wrote:He is a link to an article on how much meteorologists make http://www.tropicalweather.net/careers_ ... logist.htm

A rather inexact science in profession and salary.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 am
by Florida Beach Gal
There was an article on yahoo! about jobs with surprisingly low salaries. TV news jobs was on it. I think most people would be shocked to see how much TV people make.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 am
by Caribbean Traveler
I saw that article. It didn't give too many details, but had the idea right. TV anchors many times don't make the big bucks. It's the few that have made it to the top markets. Top 10 can pay very big bucks and top 40-50 can make a nice living if you're the #1 anchor - news / weather.

The weather channel was similar. A few made big bucks, the majority made a decent salary and some... ok salary.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm
by Skibug
Tropical Hurricane wrote:I saw that article. It didn't give too many details, but had the idea right. TV anchors many times don't make the big bucks. It's the few that have made it to the top markets. Top 10 can pay very big bucks and top 40-50 can make a nice living if you're the #1 anchor - news / weather.

The weather channel was similar. A few made big bucks, the majority made a decent salary and some... ok salary.

What is defined as 'big bucks" - "decent salary" - "ok salary"?

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 am
by Caribbean Traveler
skibug87 wrote:What is defined as 'big bucks" - "decent salary" - "ok salary"?
This varies with opinion....
really big bucks....over 500 k +
big bucks 200 K +
decent salary 100-200 K
ok salary 50-100 k

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm
by Ninjaguy
Tropical Hurricane wrote:
skibug87 wrote:What is defined as 'big bucks" - "decent salary" - "ok salary"?
This varies with opinion....
really big bucks....over 500 k +
big bucks 200 K +
decent salary 100-200 K
ok salary 50-100 k

For me...
really big bucks....over 75 K
big bucks 50-75 K
decent salary 30-50 K
ok salary 20-30 k

I guess that's the difference when you are still in college!

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:45 pm
by Kitty
Funny to see the difference in Ninja's and Rich's numbers. I guess that's because Ninja isn't out of school yet and Rich's has a bunch of experience.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 pm
by Florida Beach Gal
Kitty wrote:Funny to see the difference in Ninja's and Rich's numbers. I guess that's because Ninja isn't out of school yet and Rich has a bunch of experience.

I would say the same. After working that long, your perspective would change.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm
by Kit Kat
I would think that the economy would have brought the amounts down over the past few years anyway. True?

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 am
by Caribbean Traveler
Kit Kat wrote:I would think that the economy would have brought the amounts down over the past few years anyway. True?
Hi Kit Kat, I believe that you are correct. The salaries probably have been cut by 20% or possibly more. I'm just guessing, but it seems reasonable.

Re: How much do tv meteorologist make?

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 am
by Caribbean Traveler
Just had a friend tell me she made about 13K for weekends.....in a meduim sized market. Yikes!