Page 1 of 1

Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 pm
by Caribbean Traveler
Having worked at The Weather Channel for 25 years I would like to share a note of caution for propective meteorology majors...

If you plan to work at the National Weather Service or on television consider the following questions....

Do you mind working a 24 / 7 schedule? Working weekends? Working holidays?

Do you mind others being promoted for other than academic reasons?

I had a great time working in a field of study that I loved. It may not be for everyone though. The schedule can be rough at times. In the niche of TV broadcasting physical attributes go a long way. It is not fair, but is part of the business. I don't want to discourage anyone from working in a field of study that you love. Be prepared. Take a double major so that it would be easy to switch jobs if meteorology doesn't turn out what it seems. If you have any questions, please ask, I'll be glad to help!

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:53 am
by Martin
Appreciate all of the advice I can get Rich! Thank you for posting all of this info. Not sure if I am passionate about a career in broadcast meteorology. Like you mentioned its a competitive field and life isn't always fair. I have a friend who is a met who still is looking for a job at various NWS offices. Seems like its tough out there

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm
by Caribbean Traveler
Martin wrote:Appreciate all of the advice I can get Rich! Thank you for posting all of this info. Not sure if I am passionate about a career in broadcast meteorology. Like you mentioned its a competitive field and life isn't always fair. I have a friend who is a met who still is looking for a job at various NWS offices. Seems like its tough out there
I have actually seen quite a few jobs in the usajobs.gov for nws positions recently. Has your friend checked there?

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:49 pm
by Ninjaguy
Don't worry, I never thought about meteorology as a career. A hobby is good enough for me! :whistling:

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm
by Caribbean Traveler
ninjaguy89 wrote:Don't worry, I never thought about meteorology as a career. A hobby is good enough for me! :whistling:

Mr Ninjaguy,
that was probably a wise choice for you. Nothing wrong with having weather as a hobby. In fact, I'm sure that there are many, many people who love weather and don't study it in school. Because of your wise answer I bestow upon you the :idea: light bulb of weather knowledge. 8-)

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:12 pm
by Ninjaguy
Wow, thanks - I guess it's an honor to get a :idea: bestowed on you.

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 pm
by Kitty
Ninja, what exactly are you studying if you are not going into weather, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Before majoring in meteorology.....

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 pm
by Ninjaguy
Kitty wrote:Ninja, what exactly are you studying if you are not going into weather, if you don't mind me asking?
No problema...political science is what I'm interested in. Weather has always been a hobby.